Also recognized as aetherolea, ethereal oils, and volatile oils, essential oils are oils from the plants from which they get extracted, like oil of clove. An essential oil is given this name because it comprises the distinctive fragrance of the plant where it is derived from. These oils are highly concentrated liquids that are extracted from berries, leaves, flowers, roots, twigs, seeds, or plant material-bark. The most common process is steam distillation in which pressurized steam gets passed via plant material, thus causing oils to evaporate quickly. The resulting combination of steam and oil is reduced back into a liquid when the oil is skimmed off.
Plants which are excessively fragile for steam distillation, like orange blossom, jasmine, and rose can have their oils extracted through solvents. So, oils that get manufactured through this process are known as absolutes and they are commonly used in diffusers or perfumes as the solvent residue turns them inappropriate for topical use. People have a passion for pure essential oils for generations and they still rule the heart and soul of every person. No matter you opt for refreshing eucalyptus, floral geranium, or relaxing lavender you can get them all from a store or from different online reputed vendors.
Different kinds of essential oils
- Frankincense oil – This essential oil is helpful in keeping you calm and it also promotes spiritual awareness. You can inhale it from the bottle or diffuse it into your room. People use this oil for pneumonia, bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and asthma.
- Lavender essential oil – When the matter comes to the best essential oils for headaches, then this oil tops the list. It is best for you when you are feeling stressed or when you are suffering from disturbed sleep. Just add one or two drops into the warm bath prior to relaxing into it. You can also one drop of this oil on a mosquito or bee sting or other bug bites for stopping itching, pain, and lessen swelling.
- Clove oil – Clove oil is ideal for dental abscesses and toothache. You can apply this oil against your sore tooth and nearby gums. Additionally, it has effective pain relieving properties and it is being used in mouthwashes and dental rinses. It is a potent anti-fungal too.
- Tea Tree oil – Among the best essential oils for skin, tea tree oil is worth mentioning. As this oil has powerful anti-inflammatory benefits, it helps in relieving inflammatory skin diseases that comprise psoriasis and eczema.
- Sandalwood oil – There are many relaxing essential oils and sandalwood oil is one of them. It is an effective oil which can provide you with relaxation and provide relief from anxiety.
The ways of diluting essential oils
Though essential oils can be used undiluted in numerous cases, yet it is recommended to dilute them prior to applying them to your body. For this, you can add one or a couple of drops into an organic carrier oil, like almond, coconut, jojoba, or hemp. When you are using this oil on pets or children, then you are advised to use lesser than this because of their sensitive bodies. Again, it would be the best to have a consultation with an aromatherapist before you use essential oils on your children or pets.